Dr. Keith Boenning and Dr. Nathan Dancykier offer teeth whitening in Towson, MD. Teeth whitening is often the last step of a complete smile makeover. Cosmetic dental care completes patient’s journeys in oral health and improves the aesthetics of their smiles. Patients who receive teeth whitening treatment are often more motivated to maintain their smiles.
Brightening your smile can motivate you to take extra care in your oral health routine and schedule dental appointments. Our routine examinations and dental cleanings are preventative treatments against common dental problems. Teeth whitening treatment is often a motivating factor in oral health maintenance.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
There are multiple common causes of discolored, yellowed, and stain teeth, including:
- Foods and beverages: Coffee, tea, red wine, and berries contain chromogens, which are dark pigments that can stain your tooth enamel.
- Tobacco: Nicotine and tar, common ingredients in cigarettes and other tobacco products turn teeth yellow and stain the teeth.
- Age: As we age, the outer layer of tooth enamel erodes over time. The dark underlayer beneath the enamel, dentin, shows through and makes teeth appear discolored.
- Medication: Antipsychotics, antihistamines, blood pressure medication, and other prescription drugs can discolor teeth as a side effect.
- Trauma: If you have sustained a mouth injury and damaged a tooth, this can cause intrinsic staining or staining that affects the inside of the tooth.
- Fluoride: An overexposure to fluoride can discolor the tooth enamel.
Types of Tooth Whitening
Vital and non-vital teeth whitening treatments are used on teeth with and without live nerves. We offer both of these treatment options to our patients for their convenience.
Vital whitening is tooth whitening treatment performed on teeth with live nerves that have not been removed due to infection. To begin whitening treatment, we apply a bleaching gel to the teeth and activate the bleaching agent with laser light. This process may be repeated over half an hour or up to 90 minutes. Whitening requires multiple sessions and the length of your treatment depends on the staining of your teeth. In-office whitening treatment can brighten the shade of your tooth enamel by multiple shades.
Non-vital whitening procedures are used for teeth with dead nerves. This means that the tooth has undergone root canal therapy and no longer has nerves in the middle chamber. Infected pulp and nerves are removed from the teeth during a root canal. To whiten these teeth, we can place bleaching gel inside the tooth and cover it with a temporary filling. This process may be repeated several times for the best results. Not all stains respond well to teeth whitening. If this is the case for your teeth, we may recommend dental bonding or porcelain veneers which cover and brighten tooth enamel.
Whiten Your Teeth Today
Do you want to brighten yellowed, stained, and discolored teeth? Dr. Boenning and Dr. Dancykier serve patients in Towson and Timonium, Maryland. Call 410.324.2294 for cosmetic whitening treatment today. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Boenning and Dr. Dancykier on our website.