Have you sustained tooth damage from an injury? Do you have one or two stained teeth that are resistant to whitening? Porcelain veneers cover cosmetic dental imperfections for a more balanced smile. Veneers are crafted from thin shells of porcelain ceramic that are bonded to the front of a discolored or damaged tooth.
Dr. Keith Boenning and Dr. Nathan Dancykier provide porcelain veneers in Towson, Maryland. They are professional prosthodontists who help their patients improve the aesthetics and health of their smiles. Dr. Boenning and Dr. Dancykier work with patients individually to tailor their cosmetic dentistry treatment plans for the best results possible.
What are Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer is a thin, custom-made shell that is custom made to fit over a tooth’s front surface. They are typically made from medical-grade ceramic such as porcelain. Porcelain provides a natural look and is resistant to chipping. The dental veneer is bonded to the front of the tooth using dental adhesive. They are considered permanent dental treatments since a small amount of tooth enamel must be removed when the tooth is prepared to receive the dental veneer. They are versatile cosmetic dentistry treatments that you can use to address many cosmetic concerns.
What Are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain dental veneers benefit patients in multiple ways. Veneers:
- Conceal Almost Any Cosmetic Concern: Porcelain veneers are an amazing cosmetic dentistry treatment that can enhance the aesthetics of your smile by hiding just about cosmetic concern. Dentists will suggest dental veneers to patients who have stained or discolored teeth, teeth with chips or cracks, gaps in between teeth, uneven teeth, misshapen teeth, or crooked teeth. They can deliver a smile that is more symmetrical, uniform, and brighter.
- Durable and Long Lasting: Porcelain is a very strong and durable material that allows patients to bite into food and chew food normally. This material offers more strength than other restorations allowing patients to maintain normal biting and chewing forces. With proper oral hygiene and maintenance, they will provide you with a long-term solution for improving your smile.
- Natural Looking and Feeling: Porcelain veneers not only look like natural teeth but they also feel like natural teeth. They mimic natural teeth in terms of shape, color, and translucency. Since each one is custom made to fit perfectly on the tooth, they blend in perfectly with the rest of your smile. Porcelain veneers create a natural and lifelike appearance when you smile.
- Protect Teeth from Damage: When a dental veneer is placed over a weakened tooth, it will help support and strengthen that tooth. Porcelain veneers are often used to fix teeth that are chipped or cracked. By placing the veneer over the damage, it will prevent the tooth from becoming infected and the damaging from getting worse.
- Resistant to Stains: Porcelain veneers are highly resistant to stains compared to natural teeth and dental bonding. This makes them the perfect choice for patients who are looking for a long-term cosmetic solution. Porcelain is less porous which makes it less likely to stain from things like coffee, tea, and tobacco.
Contact our dental office if you would like to see if you are a candidate for porcelain veneers in Towson, MD. We will examine your smile and consult with you to determine your oral health needs.
Treatment with Porcelain Veneers in Towson, MD
We will first determine if you are a good candidate for porcelain veneers. In order to qualify for this cosmetic dentistry treatment, you need to be in good oral health. Patients who suffer from gum disease or tooth decay should undergo treatment first. These conditions can progress and impact your results. Once in good oral health standing, you can move forward with your dental veneer treatment.
Porcelain veneer treatment will require two dental appointments. During the first visit, we will prepare your teeth and take dental impressions. In order to properly place your dental veneers, we will remove a small amount of your natural tooth enamel. We will remove as little enamel as possible to ensure that the structure of your teeth is not impacted. Preparing the enamel in this way allows the dental veneers to adhere seamlessly to teeth.
Then, we take dental impressions of your teeth that are sent to a dental lab. The porcelain veneers are custom-created to the exact size and shade specifications.
Once your porcelain veneers are complete, the dental lab will send them back to us. At your last appointment, your dentist will bond them to your teeth using a biocomposite material.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
Many of our patients come to us with questions about veneers and the treatment process. Here are some answers to some of the most common queries:
Are porcelain veneers expensive?
The price of porcelain veneers will depend on your specific needs. Whether you are covering one tooth or all of your teeth will impact the cost of them. Covering damaged teeth and protecting them with teeth veneers can also prevent more costly dental repairs in the future. During your consultation with Dr. Boenning or Dr. Dancykier, they will discuss your specific needs and budget to find the best solution for you.
Will dental veneers damage my teeth?
Although we may remove some of the enamel to ensure a good bonding surface for the dental veneers, this does not impact the dental structure. Porcelain veneers add to the dental structure.
Can you brush dental veneers?
Yes, you can maintain your dental veneers just as you would natural teeth. Brushing your teeth veneers and flossing between them will maintain their look and ensure a long-lasting result. Remember to schedule regular dental visits so we can provide you with preventative care and cleanings.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
Porcelain veneers can last between 10 to 15 years. The lifespan of veneers will depend on the quality of the veneers, the patient’s oral habits and practices, and lifestyle choices. Additionally, patients who grind their teeth or have a habit of biting on hard objects can shorten the lifespan of their veneers. Good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, can help prolong the lifespan of veneers.
On the other hand, lifestyle choices like smoking and excessive consumption of staining substances such as coffee and red wine can discolor veneers and reduce their lifespan. Regular dental check-ups and good dental hygiene practices can help extend the lifespan of your new teeth veneers and maintain your smile.
Do porcelain veneers look natural?
Yes. Dentists design porcelain veneers to look like natural teeth and give you the confidence to smile. Porcelain material is highly durable and light-reflective, giving it the same clearness and brightness as your natural teeth. Your dentist can also adjust the color of the porcelain to match the shade of your existing teeth. With proper care, your new teeth veneers can leave you with a beautiful and natural-looking smile for many years to come.
Is it painful to get dental veneers?
Getting dental veneers is typically not painful. During the procedure, your dentist will numb the area around the teeth and treat it with a local anesthetic. It is possible that the actual placement of the veneers may cause some slight discomfort. However, this should be minimal since the dentist only needs to remove minimal enamel from the teeth for them to fit properly. After the procedure, you may experience some sensitivity or discomfort, but this is usually mild, and you can manage it with over-the-counter pain medication.
Fix Your Cosmetic Imperfections with Porcelain Veneers in Towson, MD
Do you want to enhance your smile? Try porcelain veneers in Towson and Timonium, Maryland. Call 410.324.2294 or request an appointment with Dr. Boenning or Dr. Dancykier online for comfortable dental care.